Monday, November 26, 2012

American Masters: The Doors

I made this epilogue for the original show-off of the 6 Days A Sacrifice LP back in January 2011, back when I was just getting started on the original GameTrailers blog. If it's just meh at best, that's probably why. You were warned.

Well, I've finished up my first "playthrough" only to find something good and not related to video games at all to talk about.

I just so happened to be flipping channels until I hit PBS...and guess what I immediately see? The beginning to "American Masters." And they're covering...of all bands...the Doors.

Now, if you've seen me on other pockets of the Internet, you know I'm more into electronic music such as Freestyle, Hi-NRG and Synth-pop, particularly from the 80s. Something told me to watch this...and I'm glad I did. For the whole 90 minutes, Johnny Depp (who narrated the whole episode) mentioned all the key points while backstage, concert, studio, and private footage of the group plays while awash in the Doors' music. And it was wonderful.

We finally get to see a little bit of the mystique behind Jim Morrison in this one. He managed the image of the Doors, as well as that of himself. Heck, he even carefully chose his leather pants so that he could emphasize the shape of his crotch. Everything he did was either brilliant or brilliantly calculated. The alcohol and acid trips added to the whole thing while it led to Morrison's demise at the same time.

Would I recommend anyone seeing this? Yes. It's the best 90 minutes I've seen in television in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment